What is osteoarthritis ?
• Osteoarthritis is a common cause of pain and disability in the aging population. Osteoarthritis (OA) also known as degenerative arthritis or degenerative joint disease, is a group of mechanical abnormalities involving degradation of joints, including articular cartilage and subchondral bone.
• Symptoms may include joint pain, tenderness, stiffness, locking, and sometimes an effusion. A variety of causes—hereditary, developmental, metabolic, and mechanical—may initiate processes leading to loss of cartilage.
• When bone surfaces become less well protected by cartilage, bone may be exposed and damaged. As a result of decreased movement secondary to pain, regional muscles may atrophy, and ligaments may become more lax.
• Treatment generally involves a combination of exercise, lifestyle modification and analgesics. If pain becomes debilitating joint replacement surgery may be used to improve the quality of life. OA is the most common form of arthritis.
Studies for instance, have shown that strengthening the quadriceps muscles can reduce arthritis knee pain and disability. One study shows that a relatively small increase in strength (20-25 percent) can lead to a 20-30 percent decrease in the chance of developing knee osteoarthritis.
Diagnosis is made with reasonable certainty based on history and clinical examination. X-rays may confirm the diagnosis. The typical changes seen on X-ray include:
• joint space narrowing
• subchondral cyst formation
• subchondral sclerosis (increased bony formation around the joint)
• Plain films may not correlate with the findings on physical examination or with the degree of pain Usually other imaging techniques are not necessary to clinically diagnose osteoarthritis.
Lifestyle modification (such as weight loss and exercise), physical therapy and analgesics are the mainstay of treatment. Acetaminophen / paracetamol is used first line and NSAIDS are only recommended as add on therapy if pain relief is not sufficient.
Goal of Osteoarthritis Exercises
Main aim of Osteoarthritis Exercises are to reduce pain, improve function, and prevent disability, all with the ultimate goal of improving quality of life. There are many ways that these goals can be achieved through exercise programs, as discussed below.
• Muscle Strengthening
• Improving Flexibility and Joint Motion
• Improve Aerobic Functioning
• Weight Loss
There are mainly three kinds:
• Range-of-motion: To maintain normal joint movement and relieve stiffness. These make the joints flexible.
• Strengthening exercises: To increase the strength of muscles that support the joints affected by arthritis.
• Aerobic or endurance exercises: They improve cardiovascular fitness, control weight and improve overall body function.
Osteoarthritis Exercises Plan
• Discuss the osteoarthritis exercises plan with your health care provider.
• Start under supervision of a physical therapist or a qualified athletic trainer.
• Apply heat to sore joints before you begin exercising.
• Begin exercising with stretching, flexibility and range of motion exercises.
• start strengthening exercises slowly with small light weights or resistance band.
• Increase the difficulty of your exercise routine slowly.
• apply cold packs to sore joints and muscles after osteoarthritis exercises.
• ease off exercise programme and talk to your health care provider if your joints get painful, inflammed or red.
How Often Should You Exercise?
• Range-of-motion: Either daily or every alternate day.
• Strengthening exercises: Every alternate day.
• Endurance exercises: For 20 to 30 minutes three times a week.
Some examples of exercises specifically for the legs good for those with osteoarthritis of the knee and or hips.
• Quad sets: while in a seated position, with legs fully extended in front of you, make a muscle with your thighs trying to push the back of your knee down towards the floor. Hold for 10 seconds, relax and then repeat.
• Wall slide: place your back up against the wall with your hips and knees bent to a 90 degree angle as if you were sitting in a chair. Hold this position for 10 seconds, then come up and relax. Repeat.
• Isotonic Quad exercise: sitting in a chair with your feet planted flat on the floor, raise your right leg straight out in front of you. Relax and bring back to the floor. Repeat on the left. As you are able to you can add ankle weights to increase resistance.
• Isometric Hamstrings while lying on the floor place heels on surface such as a couch or an exercise ball. Press down using the backs of your thighs and hold contraction for 10 seconds. Relax and then repeat.
• Isotonic Hamstrings lying on your belly with a pillow under your abdomen to support your back, bend your knee and bring your foot back towards your buttock. Bring back down to the floor repeat on the other side.
• Isometric Glutes Lying down on a flat surface back flat on the floor, bend your knees so that your feet are flat on the floor. Raise your buttocks up off the ground contracting your butt muscles together. Hold for 10 seconds then relax.
• Calf muscles Strenthening Using a wall or chair for balance, go up on your toes using your calf muscles hold yourself. Contract for 10 seconds, relax and repeat.
EPS 1st Physiotherapy Seminar 2016 "The knee Joint " on 14th April 2016 attended by 150 physiother...
Physio Dubai 2016
Specialists said that the physical therapy of cerebral palsy disease that affects children......
EPS is a member of WFATT
EPS had received great news from Dr. Larry J. Leverenz , the president of World Federation of Athlet...
4th Musculoskeletal Seminar "Head & Neck "
4th Musculoskeletal physiotherapy Seminar "Head & Neck" is now open for online registration . to reg...
MusculoSkeletal Ultrasound Course
Musculoskeletal ultrasound (MSKUS) has been getting more popularity in the field of physiotherapy in...
5th Emirates Physiotherapy Conference
Under the patronage of H.H. Sheikh Hamdan bin Rashid al Maktoum, Deputy Ruler of Dubai, UAE Minister...
The shoulder girdle as part of the Upper Quadrant Chain Workshop
The shoulder girdle as part of the Upper Quadrant Chain workshop 23 Sep 2016 This workshop is ta...
Peter O'Sullivan's Cognitive Functional Therapy Course
EPS is organizing Peter O'Sullivan's Cognitive Functional Therapy course on 24th & 25th Sep 2016 at ...
1st Pediatric Physiotherapy Seminar
All are invited to attend 1st pediatric Physiotherapy Seminar on Thursday 22nd Sep at 18:30 - Latifa...
Complete Decongestive Therapy Diploma
EPS is organizing Complete Decongestive Therapy Diploma Course . for registration download the regis...
Meeting with Health Regulation Department - DHA
EPS board members : Amal Alshamlan, Naima Saleh & Meer Ibrahim had a meeting with Health Regulation ...
Clinical Taping for Neuromusculoskeletal Problems Workshop
EPS is organising a workshop on 9th & 10th Dec 2016 : Clinical Taping for Neuromusculoskeletal Probl...
2nd Pediatric Seminar
EPS is organizing multidisciplinary scientific meeting "prematurity study day" involving physiothera...
Understanding lumbar and pelvic girdle pain course
27th, 28th and 29th of October ...
3rd Pediatric Seminar "An update on Cerebral Palsy"
3rd Pediatric Seminar "An update on Cerebral Palsy" on 30th March 2017 at Latifa Hospital Auditorium...
Clinical Taping Course
Due to the high demand on the clinical taping course , EPS is organizing it for the second time on 1...
Neurodynamics, analysis & management of neurogenic pain course
Neurodynamics, analysis & management of neurogenic pain ( advanced level) course is taking place 3 -...
3rd Musculoskeletal Seminar "The Shoulder"
EPS is organizing its 3rd Musculoskeletal Seminar "The shoulder" at Latifa Hospital Auditorium on Ja...
2nd Musculoskeletal Seminar
EPS is organizing its 2nd Musculoskeletal Seminar on Sep 3rd 2016 a Latifa Hospital ...
Complete Decongestive Therapy Diploma Course
EPS is organizing the Complete Decongestive Therapy Diploma again in 2017 - 2018 . Register online ...
Orthopedic Manual Therapy Certificate Course
Orthopedic Manual Therapy Course Level 1 8- 11 Sep 2017 & Level II 13-16 Oct 2017 at...
5th Musculoskeleltal Physiotherapy Seminar
5th Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy Seminar "Updates on Pain " is open for registration online htt...
4th Pediatric Seminar
register for the 4th pediatric seminar : Application of Sensory Integration in Pediatric Practice on...
6th Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy Seminar
The 6th MSK physiotherapy Seminar is organized on Oct 19th 2017 at Latifa Hospital Auditorium . reg...
Women's Health Physiotherapy Seminar
Women's Health Physiotherapy Seminar is organized on 7th Dec at Latifa Hospital Auditorium. register...
Diagnosis & Management of Autism Disorder seminar
Register for a seminar on Diagnosis & Management of Autism Disorder ...
Multidisciplinary Rehabilitation of stroke patient seminar
Register for Multidisciplinary Rehabilitation of stroke patient seminar https://goo.gl/forms/nRbUB2...
EPS signs MOU with SPTA
EPS had signed MOU with Saudi Physical Therapy Association (SPTA) today in the meeting attended by D...
DIAGNOSIS AND MANAGEMENT OF AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDERS
Venue – Latifa Hospital Target Audience – All Health Care professionals Registration fees: EM...
WCPT Congress 2021 to be held in Dubai
The WCPT Congress 2021 will be held in Dubai, hosted by the Emirates Physiotherapy Society. WCPT Pre...
6th Emirates Physiotherapy Conference - PhysioUAE 2018
The 6th Emirates Physiotherapy Conference - PhysioUAE 2018 took place on May 2 & 3rd 2018 . We are p...
Clinical Reasoning & Decision Making in MSK practice - one day course
EPS is organizing a one day course on Oct 20th 2018 at Abudhabi Sports Council ...
Physiotherapy Seminr - Sacroiliac Joint
register online for the physiotherapy Seminar - sacroiliac Joint Nov 15th at Latifa Hospital http...
MOU - Fatma College for Health Sciences
EPS signed a MOU with Fatma College of Heath Sciences @FCHS_UAE attended by EPS President- Mrs. Amal...
Clinical Taping for Physiotherapist
Register online for Clinical Taping for Physiotherapist - Functional Taping course https://www.ema...
MANAGEMENT OF CERVICAL & LUMBAR PAIN WITH NEURAL MOBILIZATION , MANUAL THERAPY & TAPING COURSE
register for the upcoming course : MANAGEMENT OF CERVICAL & LUMBAR PAIN WITH NEURAL MOBILIZATI...